• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child threatening with a gun

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaylynn

What is the name of your state?CA
Yesterday my boys, ages 9 and 6, were walking home from school with 2 older boys, ages 11 and 10, when another child got into an argument with the older boys. Lots of words were exchanged and the child ran into his house and came out with a gun. He said he would shoot them all and aimed the gun in their direction. The kids ran to get away from him and flagged down an MP (we live on a military base, my husband is a marine). The MP brought the kids home and got some information from me for the report, like soc.sec.#'s, dates of birth, etc. At that point they only had the childs first name and the name of his teacher so they are going to the school today to get him. I have been on the internet for hours trying to find out about juvenile laws regarding this situation and I have come up empty. What I would like to know is will the school be able to suspend or punish at all or will it just be PMO that handles it? They were walking home so this did not occur on school property. I am worried that this child could bring the weapon to school. Also the fact that my boys are terrified after what happened. They have only been at this school for a week and do not know this child but the older boys do and have admitted to bullying him. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be handled? I just want to make sure everything is being done that can be done so my children are safe. I appreciate any info or links to juvenile laws so I can stay on top of this situation.

brisgirl825

A lot will depend on the age of the child who was handling a gun. I would hope that mom and dad, of that child, also receive some sort of punishment for leaving a weapon available to a child.
The school will likely not be able to punish the kid b/c this didn't occur on school property. However, I notifying the school of his behavior wouldn't be a bad idea.

shaylynn

Thank you for your help. It is an elementary school so the oldest he could be is 12. And the school will be notified when the MP's go looking for him today. I agree about the parents totally. They have a lot to answer for in that living on a base requires all guns be kept at the armory, never in the home. That's why the possibility of this happening at all never occured to me. Kind of kicks the crap out of my sense of security on this base. Thank you for your help.

gawm

brisgirl825 said:
A lot will depend on the age of the child who was handling a gun. I would hope that mom and dad, of that child, also receive some sort of punishment for leaving a weapon available to a child.
The school will likely not be able to punish the kid b/c this didn't occur on school property. However, I notifying the school of his behavior wouldn't be a bad idea.
In some states the schools are responsible for the kids from the time they leave until the time they get home. I would definitely contact the school.

CdwJava

In CA the school has some administrative jurisdiction over the children until they return home. So, because the 12 year old threatened the others with a gun the school can conceivably suspend or expel the student. Certainly, you should advise the school of the incident.

If PMO chooses to, they can charge the parents with a criminal act under CA law for allowing such free access to the weapon by their child. The child can also be charged with at least two felonies that I can see. What PMO will ultimately do is a question mark.

If this is Camp Pendleton, I might be able to give you some specific resources and contacts should they be needed.

- Carl

shaylynn

Thank you for the info. I spoke to the principal and he gave me an update as to what was happening. The MP's called San Bernadino sheriff's office and all of them are investigating it. I am feeling a lot better now that I know it's being looked into. It seems that the 2 older boys were bullying this child, whom at 10 years old is not much bigger than my 6 year old. And, as a side note, in speaking with the principal, I was told that all involved attested that my boys had nothing to with bullying this child and that the child had no ill will toward my boys. I'm just grateful that my boys are safe, because the "what if's" have driven me crazy. Thank you for your help. When it comes to my kids, I can be a little hysterical, and your input made me feel like I at least know what to expect and what needs to be done. Thank you.

CdwJava

Ah, you must be at or near Twenty Nine Palms, then. The SBSO is a good outfit - I suspect they will do what they can in the matter. Because of the age of the suspect I wouldn't expect CYA (California Youth Authority), but chances are good that something reasonably "unpleasant" will happen to him.

- Carl

shaylynn

Yes, 29 Palms. No matter what happens to the child, now both the school and the parents know what he's capable of. You hear about it all the time...a bullied child feels backed into a corner. Hope that he gets some help to deal with this and the boys teasing him need a deterant to avoid stuff like this in the future. I feel confident that those handling this situation are doing exactly what needs to be done. Thanks to all for your help.

W

westcoastdaddy

children and guns-a bad combination

i shudder to think of what would have happened if the child with the gun had really gotten mad! i have children myself, and i have made it clear that guns are NOT ALLOWED in the kelly household. i think the parents should face charges for being so darn irresponsible, their child could have hurt or killed someone

CdwJava

westcoastdaddy said:
i shudder to think of what would have happened if the child with the gun had really gotten mad! i have children myself, and i have made it clear that guns are NOT ALLOWED in the kelly household. i think the parents should face charges for being so darn irresponsible, their child could have hurt or killed someone
In CA the parents CAN be held responsible ... as well as the child.

- Carl

If it indeed was a real firearm, then the parents will likely get in trouble.

Its my general understanding that personal weapons are not allowed on military bases unless they are personally authorized by the base commander. Otherwise they are to be locked up on the base armory.

Shay-Pari'e

westcoastdaddy said:
I shudder to think, that you can "PARENT" anyone, considering your history on this forum.

Why would you even think about your 20 kids having guns in the house? Do you not watch them?

There had to have been a concern, for you to make this.."NO GUN"S IN THE HOUSE RULE". ;)

You know? It has never been a topic of discussion in my home Kelly.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
westcoastdaddy said:
pssst. Has it occured to you that being in the military often necessitates firearms in the household? You DID understand that this occured on a Military base, right? And, well, living in CA, surely you know that Pendleton and Twenty Nine Palms are military bases.... right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">