• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child wants to live with me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowgirl718199

What is the name of your state? Missouri. Although may need NC law too.

I'm the bio mom. My daughter is 17. When she was 4 I chose to sign temporary guardianship to her paternal grandmother due to financial issues and an abusive husband. Shortly after I left my husband. In that time frame she was taken to NC without my knowledge. At the age of 7, she was placed in therapeutic foster care due to abuse in the care of the grandmother and was adopted at 9 because the foster mom couldnt find me.(I have lived in the same home for 10 years). About 3 years ago, my daughter found me and me, her adoptive mom and her have been talking since. My daughter wants to move to missouri and live with me which I have room for her. However, she does need therapy and the adoptive mom states that she would have to have my parental rights reinstated. My question is could she still live with me and the adoptive mom keep parental rights?

justalayman

If the adoptive/legal mother allowed, it, yes but it is entirely up to the mother. Neither you nor then child have a say in th matter.

eerelations

That's not exactly permission. It might well have been simple sarcasm. Or your daughter may be, er, imagining it. I recommend you speak to the adoptive Mom directly and if she agrees to her adopted daughter living with you before she (the daughter) turns 18, ask her to put it in writing.

(And if adoptive Mom still insists that you get your parental rights reinstated before she allows daughter to live with you, then legally, that's what you've got to do.)

HRZ

At 18 she gets to make up her own mind ...why not wait?

BTW , just who is going to pay for all the therapy you say she needs?

cowgirl718199

At 18 she gets to make up her own mind ...why not wait?

BTW , just who is going to pay for all the therapy you say she needs?
Um I'm financially stable now. The only reason I wasn't then was I was living in a state that paid crap wages and had an ex who thought video games was more important than getting off his butt and supporting his family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">