• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child with Cystic Fibrosis- no insurance - please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taylor812

My friend that I’m writing about lives in Nevada.

Hello,
I have a friend that lives in Las Vegas, Nevada, with her husband, and three kids. Their new baby who is six months old was just diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. The baby was born in Seattle, Washington, so the tests were all done there, and paid for by the state of WA since their family is considered low income. Her husband doesn’t have much work experience (they are both in their early 20’s) but she does, so they have determined he would stay home with the sick child. She applied for Health coverage by the state in Nevada. After all the paperwork was filled out, and they waited for the approval, the baby was just getting sicker. Then she gets a call informing her that her income is too low to receive the medical help she was applying for, and she’ll have to apply for Medicaid, which takes 90 days to approve! Well, last night she had to take her daughter to the hospital. She waited for 12 hours to get in, and then the Doctor would not treat her. He said that since she didn’t have insurance, he couldn’t treat the baby unless it was life threatening. He told her that she should move back to WA to get the coverage. However, she is stuck in a lease, and if she just takes off, she’s basically screwed because all of her work experience is in Property Management, and the first thing those businesses look at is your credit. IS THERE ANY MEDICAL ATTENTION THIS CHILD COULD GET?????? They can barely afford rent. She barely has an income, and is supporting her husband, and they have three kids! Oh- both of their families are all screwed and won’t help them much.

TxMsLady

Tell your friend to apply for Medicaid with the Department of Human Services. They do not take 90 days to approve. Also, tell them to call the Social Security office and apply for SSI for their child. They should tell them the childs diagnosis and problems and the fact that there is no income or insurance and sometimes, the Social Security office can approve SSI benefits temporarily while the claim is actually still being under review for approval ( if they think that the child meets the Medical Listings to be approved). This is called an Assumption....from the "assumption" that the child will be approved. Have the parents ask about this. They may also check into their County Health Dept. and ask if there is a program called CIDC (Chronically Ill and Disabled Children). If so, this program can assist them in medical help (tests, supplies, ect.). I hope this can be of some help. Best wishes to them!

T

taylor812

Wow, thank you SO MUCH! I will pass that information on to her now!

And what a thoughtfull person you are to reply with the info you had. Thanks again!!

God bless you as well. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">