• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children not getting along, threat of law suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phinn

I live in VA. When I got home form work last night my wife told me that the police were at the house. The reason was: My son was out playing at the park. Another child who i feel is a trouble maker, was riding his bike around the park, challenging my son to hit him, calling him names, etc. Things that kids do. Any way my son cought him and hit him. The father of this other child called the police and threatend a law suit. My question is, can he really sue me and my wife for soemthing like this?
Thanks in advance for all replies

ALawyer

In America, anyone can sue anyone else, whether or not the suit has any chance of success.

As you said, the kids were doing what kids do and your kid was goaded enough to take the bait.

Parents always threaten to sue. Unless there was real damage -- a permanent injury, scar, loss of vision, major expense, etc. -- the threatened suits usually evaporate by morning. Just as you'd react if your kid was the one hit.

If he says anything again, report it to your homeowners insurance company. And unless you had reason to believe your kid was dangerous, you'll be okay.

But get your kid to wise up. By the way, it gets more complicated as they get older....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">