• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children of deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Musikate

What is the name of your state? PA

I’m wondering if it’s customary to have a decedent’s adult children present during a reading of his will. When my father died in 2015, I was never told a word about it. Is that normal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Reading of the will" is very rare. It's simply a plot device in movies and books. You should have been advised and had the opportunity to get a copy of the will at the time.

Musikate

"Reading of the will" is very rare. It's simply a plot device in movies and books. You should have been advised and had the opportunity to get a copy of the will at the time.
I understand that, but I would have assumed that I would see a copy.

t74

Is the estate open or closed? Googling "close estate PA" provides a number of links to procedure for doing so,

Dandy Don

Maybe your father didn't have a will and that is why you were told nothing, or if he had one, perhaps you were not named as a beneficiary in it.
Check at the county courthouse probate court (many probate courts have records online now, and you can do a check by using his name. If he had a probate file, you can go to the courthouse to look at it. If he did have one, the executor should have notified you by mail about it.

Why would you think it unusual to have the decedent's adult children there are the reading of the will? They probably were beneficiaries and wanted to find out what they will be getting and they had a general interest in wanting to find out what the will says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">