• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children’s trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pburchett

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My brother murdered my parents then, robbed them. I am administrator of the estate, which is nearing a partial distribution of assets. I plan on pulling my portion of the estate funds out, as I have the Probate Judge’s permission. The remaining portion (20-25K) will remain in a bank account earning interest till my brother goes to trial. My brother wants to confess and go on to prison.

As I understand Kentucky law, he will be presumed deceased if he is found guilty and his portion of the estate will go to his children. This is where things get hairy: My brother presumably, has 3 children, by 2 different women, outside of wedlock. As of yet we have not had any DNA test performed, which makes if difficult to perform my duties, as I am required by the Judge to get the children’s parents permission before selling most anything, as they may have a contingent interest. Also, the women are constantly complaining to their attorney that I have overspent on the funeral (funeral was in the average range (18K for two funerals and a monument for both)), or the auctioned items brought too little. Come on, Wal-Mart does not perform funerals and I have no control over how much people bid at an auction. A son murdering his parents is just not the thing to drive auction prices up.

Is there any way that my brother can retain a portion of his inheritance? Can his current debts be paid with his inheritance? He owes his creditors approximately 35K. Can I sue him in civil court for the death of my parents? The reason I ask is as follows: I believe the children’s parents are incapable of honestly maintaining the children’s trust if they were to get one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

nextwife

pburchett said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My brother murdered my parents then, robbed them. I am administrator of the estate, which is nearing a partial distribution of assets. I plan on pulling my portion of the estate funds out, as I have the Probate Judge’s permission. The remaining portion (20-25K) will remain in a bank account earning interest till my brother goes to trial. My brother wants to confess and go on to prison.

As I understand Kentucky law, he will be presumed deceased if he is found guilty and his portion of the estate will go to his children. This is where things get hairy: My brother presumably, has 3 children, by 2 different women, outside of wedlock. As of yet we have not had any DNA test performed, which makes if difficult to perform my duties, as I am required by the Judge to get the children’s parents permission before selling most anything, as they may have a contingent interest. Also, the women are constantly complaining to their attorney that I have overspent on the funeral (funeral was in the average range (18K for two funerals and a monument for both)), or the auctioned items brought too little. Come on, Wal-Mart does not perform funerals and I have no control over how much people bid at an auction. A son murdering his parents is just not the thing to drive auction prices up.

Is there any way that my brother can retain a portion of his inheritance? Can his current debts be paid with his inheritance? He owes his creditors approximately 35K. Can I sue him in civil court for the death of my parents? The reason I ask is as follows: I believe the children’s parents are incapable of honestly maintaining the children’s trust if they were to get one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How dare they complain about you spending what was needed for funeral expenses for your parents. Your parents had a right to have THEIR estate provide a proper funeral for them!

Yes, I believe you can sue brother for your parent's death, (remember OJ being tried in civil court?). Personally, I think you need an attorney on behalf of the estate to deal with all these legal issues. Until there is a DNA test, or they produce a signed Affidavit of Paternity, brother, by law, is NOT the legal father of the children. So they should be forced to either establish the legality of their claim or back off and let you do your job.

pburchett

nextwife said:
How dare they complain about you spending what was needed for funeral expenses for your parents. Your parents had a right to have THEIR estate provide a proper funeral for them!
They are just looking at all of the money spent on behalf of the estate and wish they had this money. You would have to realize that these people do not work, and are constantly in court trying to sue someone…

nextwife said:
Personally, I think you need an attorney on behalf of the estate to deal with all these legal issues. Until there is a DNA test, or they produce a signed Affidavit of Paternity, brother, by law, is NOT the legal father of the children. So they should be forced to either establish the legality of their claim or back off and let you do your job.
I do have an attorney handling the estate, but I think he freely offers information and advice to my brother’s, children’s parents. The estate attorney is the one that said they had a contingent interest in the event my brother was found guilty. It is a small town, and the attorney has represented the parents before in a large case, which I believe is still in appeals and therefore they have seen no money yet. The children’s parents do have their own attorney. They went in together to get him. Actually, it is the Grandmother who is pushing the buttons and making all the trouble.

The estate is in its final stages, so I will be seeking additional legal advice and asking for independent lab DNA test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">