• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child's name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glednicky31

Junior Member
Where would I need to go to take care of this matter? What is the process of this type of situation?

Hi, this would be Texas Law. I'm trying to find out how to change my son's last name back to my maiden name. My son's father and I seperated before I knew I was pregnant. He has never chose to see him or have anything to do with him. I was engaged shortly after our breakup and gave my son my fiance's last name which of course the relationship ended shortly after my son turned 1. We went through the process of DNA testing to prove to the courts he was in fact not the biological father of my son to avoid child support/legal action on his side. However, we never changed his last name. My son now 11 years old now. I'm wanting to change his name to my maiden name is this possible. I do not have the DNA records either?? Please advise me on how to handle this situation it is of the upmost importance. I appreciate any feedback on this very much.

Thanks,
Ginger
 
Last edited:


LdiJ

Senior Member
glednicky31 said:
Hi, this would be Texas Law. I'm trying to find out how to change my son's last name back to my maiden name. My son's father and I seperated before I knew I was pregnant. He has never chose to see him or have anything to do with him. I was engaged shortly after our breakup and gave my son my fiance's last name which of course the relationship ended shortly after my son turned 1. We went through the process of DNA testing to prove to the courts he was in fact not the biological father of my son to avoid child support/legal action on his side. However, we never changed his last name. My son now 11 years old now. I'm wanting to change his name to my maiden name is this possible. I do not have the DNA records either?? Please advise me on how to handle this situation it is of the upmost importance. I appreciate any feedback on this very much.

Thanks,
Ginger
At the moment your son doesn't have a legal father. Its been proven that the man who last name you gave your son is not the father. I think that you should confirm this with an attorney, but I believe that you are able to change your child's last name without any input from anyone else.
 
glednicky31 said:
Hi, this would be Texas Law. I'm trying to find out how to change my son's last name back to my maiden name. My son's father and I seperated before I knew I was pregnant. He has never chose to see him or have anything to do with him. I was engaged shortly after our breakup and gave my son my fiance's last name which of course the relationship ended shortly after my son turned 1. We went through the process of DNA testing to prove to the courts he was in fact not the biological father of my son to avoid child support/legal action on his side. However, we never changed his last name. My son now 11 years old now. I'm wanting to change his name to my maiden name is this possible. I do not have the DNA records either?? Please advise me on how to handle this situation it is of the upmost importance. I appreciate any feedback on this very much.

Thanks,
Ginger
As long as the child's father is not on his birth certificate nor is it somewhere in an affidavit of paternity then it shouldn't be a problem.
 

glednicky31

Junior Member
jslopez711 said:
As long as the child's father is not on his birth certificate nor is it somewhere in an affidavit of paternity then it shouldn't be a problem.

How would I go about doing this? Where do I need to go or who do I need to speak with?
 

LdiJ

Senior Member
glednicky31 said:
How would I go about doing this? Where do I need to go or who do I need to speak with?
Go down to your local courthouse and get the forms to petition the court for a name change.
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top