• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chrges on security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redorf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My tenants are moving out. I know that there is going to be a trash bill due (in our Co. the bill goes to the owner of the unit if tenants don't pay it). Can outstanding bills be deducted from the SD?

Also, I'm paying someone to show the unit to a perspective tenant. If the property is not accessable, due to locked gates or dogs, can her fee be deducted from SD? They have recieved 48 hour written notice.

papashaq

Q-Can outstanding bills be deducted from the SD?
A- Yes!

Q-If the property is not accessable, due to locked gates or dogs, can her fee be deducted from SD?
A- Did you ask them in the notice to leash their dogs? And why ais there anything locked that you don't have the keys too, which prevents access?

redorf

Yes, I stated that the dogs needed to be contained and the gates unlocked.

I didn't feel I needed to have the keys/combo. I think I have the combonation anyway from a prior entry but I'm not sure.

redorf

Update

:mad: My represenative tried to show the house to perspective tenants today. The tenant who is moving out, refused to let them in to see it. She says she didn't get the letter of Intent to Enter" I have a reciept from the post office that says it was delivered 2 days ago. I also told them in the letter that I would charge them her fee to show the house if it wasn't accessable.

Can I do this? Does my delivery conformation hold up against her saying "I didn't get it"?

MIRAKALES

A well-written lease agreement will stipulate that tenant must make the premises “available for show” to new prospective tenants, realtors and LL’s agents upon giving LL notice to vacate. Prior to giving notice to vacate, tenant is entitled to “quiet enjoyment” of the premises. Tenant’s right to quiet enjoyment is not to be confused or conflict with tenant’s responsibility to make premises available for show.

Issue SECOND NOTICE to tenant of intent to enter and include the lease clause related to notice to vacate and available to show (if provisioned in the lease). Advise in the notice that tenant will be financially liable for LL’s rent losses if premises are not available for show to prospective tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">