• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cigarette Smoke Filled Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vercross

I'm in California, and I was wondering if there would be an argument either to get the landlord to change the carpeting (preferable) or let me out of the lease. The house reeks of smoke, anyone walking in can notice the smell. The lease specifically bans smoking, and I spoke to the property manager on the subject, he replied that he was aware that a prior tenant smoked, but that it was against the terms of their lease.

I recently asked the Property Manager if he could speak to the Landlord about changing out the carpet. It carries most of the smoke smell and even has cigarette burns. I was wondering if I there were anything that I could use or say to "persuade" him into convincing the land lord. I am developing a cough, and I have a tickle in my throat along with mucus stuck in the morning. I have never had such a health issue, I am/was very healthy.

I was aware of an odor when I moved in, but I thought it was the smell of old person. It was masked, but somewhat evident. It has become increasingly apparent.

In addition, the carpet has recently experienced some flooding due to an air conditioning problem

Any thoughts, suggestions?

BL

I'm in California, and I was wondering if there would be an argument either to get the landlord to change the carpeting (preferable) or let me out of the lease. The house reeks of smoke, anyone walking in can notice the smell. The lease specifically bans smoking, and I spoke to the property manager on the subject, he replied that he was aware that a prior tenant smoked, but that it was against the terms of their lease.

I recently asked the Property Manager if he could speak to the Landlord about changing out the carpet. It carries most of the smoke smell and even has cigarette burns. I was wondering if I there were anything that I could use or say to "persuade" him into convincing the land lord. I am developing a cough, and I have a tickle in my throat along with mucus stuck in the morning. I have never had such a health issue, I am/was very healthy.

I was aware of an odor when I moved in, but I thought it was the smell of old person. It was masked, but somewhat evident. It has become increasingly apparent.

In addition, the carpet has recently experienced some flooding due to an air conditioning problem

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Have yoryed to have proffesion cleaner come in and clean and sanized it? Or Ask the manager? Maintainace to try ?

FarmerJ

I agree with BL ask for it to be cleaned . This is not a get out of lease card with out penalty, If they wont clean it then send them a certified letter asking them to recommend to you a local carpet cleaning firm and arrange it your self.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">