• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Circle K employee stole $20 via debit transaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

litsupport

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
On Monday December 15th at 11:49PM I went to Circle K I purchased Knotts Berry farms cookies & wanted $20 cash back. The clerk, whom I recognized as an employee of this store for some time, gave me my $20 and reciept & I left the store.
Tuesday night I was checking my bank account balance online and noticed the charge from Circle K was for $41.12. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It is $20 more than it should be. I found the reciept and there are charges for lottery tickets I did not purchase. The Circle K employee bought lottery tickets on my debit card!
I'm floored, the audacity of this man. Surely the store has security cameras and my transaction was recorded.
I called the Corporate office and left a short message stating my complaint and left a call back number. I wanted to go down to the store, but didn't.
What do you think? Has anyone heard of such a thing or know someone who has had this happen to them?

justalayman

since the card requires the use of a PIN and the amount was clearly on the receipt, I don't see how you can argue you did not purchase all on the receipt and the cashier somehow stole $20 from you.

LdiJ

since the card requires the use of a PIN and the amount was clearly on the receipt, I don't see how you can argue you did not purchase all on the receipt and the cashier somehow stole $20 from you.
When a debit transaction is done there are multiple opportunities to notice and challenge the amount of the transaction before it ever gets to the receipt stage. I just don't see how this happened unless the OP was under the influence of something. If that is the case, then the OP should perhaps check his/her wallet or purse for lottery tickets.

litsupport

wow I guess you watch EVERY debit transaction you've ever had with unbridled attention, NEVER getting distracted for even one second.....
Like I said the security camera will prove what he did. I would also bet I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Happy Hanukkah!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
wow I guess you watch EVERY debit transaction you've ever had with unbridled attention, NEVER getting distracted for even one second.....
Like I said the security camera will prove what he did. I would also bet I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Happy Hanukkah!
So basically you don't take even a minute bit of responsibility for this?

justalayman

Happy Hanukkah!
If you don't watch the transaction then the failure is yours. Proving it is not going to be possible.

And unless circle k wants to review the tapes it isn't going to happen. To get a subpoena you would have to sue them. It will cost you much more than that $20.

The police do not have the authority to demand the tapes.

The police will likely see it as everybody else has and tell you to check your wallet for the lottery tickets.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Happy Hanukkah!
When it gets to the part where you have to ok the amount, heck yes.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
On Monday December 15th at 11:49PM I went to Circle K I purchased Knotts Berry farms cookies & wanted $20 cash back. The clerk, whom I recognized as an employee of this store for some time, gave me my $20 and reciept & I left the store.
Tuesday night I was checking my bank account balance online and noticed the charge from Circle K was for $41.12. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It is $20 more than it should be. I found the reciept and there are charges for lottery tickets I did not purchase. The Circle K employee bought lottery tickets on my debit card!
I'm floored, the audacity of this man. Surely the store has security cameras and my transaction was recorded.
I called the Corporate office and left a short message stating my complaint and left a call back number. I wanted to go down to the store, but didn't.
What do you think? Has anyone heard of such a thing or know someone who has had this happen to them?
Is ANYTHING your fault ?? Ever? :confused::rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect the OP got a bunch of losing lottery tickets and is trying to recoup the loss!

TigerD

Happy Hanukkah!
Yes. I watch every transaction involving my money extremely closely. Only a fool wouldn't.

And don't think for a minute we didn't catch that little anti-Semitic poke.

TD

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Considering Hanukkah started at sundown yesterday, there's an outside chance that the OP was sincere...

davew128

Considering Hanukkah started at sundown yesterday, there's an outside chance that the OP was sincere...
Was in the car with my GF this morning and put on one of her favorite XM radio channels, Spa. It sounded weird and I looked at the display and it said Hanukkah Channel. I mentioned it to her and she said "Well it IS Christmas time". She's blonde BTW, and neither of us is Jewish. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">