• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Alarm Permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mellie2019

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm looking more for an opinion than a solution here.

We have an alarm system installed in our home, have had it for 2 years. One day while we were at work, we received a call from our alarm service informing us that our alarm was activated. Being the first time in 2 years and the fact that we were in a lawsuit against a certain individual, we asked that the police be sent. Nothing was found by the police.

Then about a month later, we received a letter requesting $51.00 for a "City Alarm Permit." - a one time charge required after your first false alarm. You do not receive an actual permit unless you request it. Also, if your alarm is activated and is found to be a valid alarm, you do not have to pay the $51.00 and obtain a permit. The city further informs you that the $51.00 is not a penalty, but a permit fee and that you are allowed 2 false alarms in a 365 day period, however after your first false alarm you must pay $51.00 for the "City Alarm Permit."

Our city ordinance,

"After the first false alarm the commander of the Sheriff Station and or the Fire Chief depending on the nature of the alarm shall notify the alarm user in writing that they need to obtain a permit. No person shall install maintain lease service repair alter replace move or use any security or emergency alarm system in a premise which has experienced a false alarm without first obtaining a City Alarm Permit"

Here is their false alarm ordinance: "The first two false alarms in any consecutive three hundred sixty five day period the three hundred sixty five day period beginning on the date of the first false alarm shall be considered accidental and no penalty fees charged The alarm user shall be notified in writing by the Sheriff Commander or the Fire Chief or their designee after the occurrence of the second false alarm notifying him herthat any further false alarms may result in penalty assessments"

When I questioned the person in charge of collecting these fees, he informed me that this permit or fee is not required if the alarm is valid.

I am a bit confused... To me, if you only have to pay for this permit after your 1st false alarm, but not when you have an alarm, isn't that a penalty? And shouldn't that 1st false alarm be "considered accidental" as stated in their ordinance?

Is it legal for a city to force one person to pay for a permit and not another? They know who they respond to because of an alarm, shouldn't all responses by alarm be required to obtain this "City Alarm Permit"?

Thank you for your time...
Melody

Mellie2019

Thank you

I have already paid the fee.

As I stated, I was looking for opinions. By that, I mean a bit more than a one liner response.

It just seems to be a contradictory ordinance and discriminate in the administration.

Do you agree, disagree or have no opinion?:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do not believe there is a contradiction.
I don't have the energy to debate/discuss it - the smoke's a bit thick here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">