• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city council behind closed doors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaeljl

I have a lease agreement on a city owned building. That is being voted on by city councle next Tuesday. The city has opted to do this vote behind close door. I wonder how that is possible since all other city councle discussion are made public. I think they are doing it this way to cover up the blayton misconduct and ill procedure that city employees exercised prior to this point. What constitutes a behind closed door session of a city councle meeting? It just donst seam right to me. Please help

CdwJava

Yes, but why would a lease agreement be an executive matter?

I would think that agreeing on a lease should be a public matter if it is something that the Council must be involved in. Out here, most cities do not usually have the Council accept or deny routine lease agreements. But, different cities, different rules.

But, I cannot imagine they could legally justify a closed door session on the matter. The question then becomes, what to do about it? if the OP has a friendly ear with the media, you make a stink. If he has the means to hire an attorney, he takes legal action. Different states have different solutions to these issues and since I do not recall the state being listed, we cannot look up the related sunshine law.

michaeljl

Sorry the state is califonria, you say go to the media or hire an attorney. Would that be after the behind closed door session if things don't go my way or prior to? I don't want to make anyone mad at me before the vote.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">