• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city ethics in question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guessin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?The city that I work for in Alabama has purchased land with a 2 story single family dwelling on it. Out of the blue an employee is living in this house. The house was not advertised to be for rent . No one knows for sure if the employee is even paying rent at all. My question is ---Can the city do this without violating the fair housing act? People of color were not given any opportunity at all to apply for this property.It seems very unfair to me, but I dont know if it would be considered unethical.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?The city that I work for in Alabama has purchased land with a 2 story single family dwelling on it. Out of the blue an employee is living in this house. The house was not advertised to be for rent . No one knows for sure if the employee is even paying rent at all. My question is ---Can the city do this without violating the fair housing act? People of color were not given any opportunity at all to apply for this property.It seems very unfair to me, but I dont know if it would be considered unethical.
Yes, its possible that the city could do that and have it be completely legal/ethical. The city could be providing the housing as part of the employee's salary...or providing the housing in exchange for extra services above and beyond the employee's normal salary...or many other scenarios that would be completely legal and ethical.

sandyclaus

Why do you feel that the city should have advertised this property for rent before allowing a city employee to occupy it? On what basis do you believe that the city is actually renting it out at all, and not just allowing the employee to occupy it under some other arrangement?

Last, but certainly NOT least, what does this have to do with "people of color"? You seem eager to cry "DISCRIMINATION" when you have no clue under what circumstances the employee occupant even took possession of the property. You don't even know that it is being rented out - just that some random employee moved into it.

Sounds to me like you are bitter because you somehow felt like YOU should have had the opportunity to live in that house, and you feel robbed because no one even asked you. Before you go running around, crying foul about things you appear to know nothing about, I would suggest you get your facts and details straight so you at least know what questions you need to be asking.

OHRoadwarrior

In my city, they provided or rented a house to a city employee, on the basis the property would be occupied and less likely to have illegal activities occur on it.

guessin

The reason that I said that I felt that this was unfair is because I work for the city and know much more about this situation than i can reveal on this forum. I would like to thank the 2 senior members who offered clear , friendly advice. Sandy claus seems to have a chip on her shoulder . We have a payscale which states exactly what each employee should be getting paid. Before any raises or special benefits are given ,they have to be approved through city council. This hasnt happened. This employee is doing things that are illegal while his superintendant turns and looks the other way. I also have a friend who happens to be mayor of another city in Alabama. He went to jail for paying bills approved by city council who then started an investigation which found him guilty of paying himself in a round -about way for some work done for the city. He did his time and to this day still says he did nothing wrong. The reason for saying all this is to let you know that I understand how easy it is to get on the wrong side of the law .I simply wanted to know from a legal standpoint if it was illegal , unethical, or just unfair practices in the workplace by a superintendant who has no accountability as far as human relations are concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">