• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Opened a Utility Account without Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bevred

Maine

We purchased a house for renovation in November. We are not residing in this house.

We received a bill for water and sewer from the city. Upon receiving purchase information, the city automatically opened the account without our permission, and billed us for the former owners outstanding balance. When I spoke with them, I was told that it was ”their policy.” When asked where it was written, I was told there was nothing written. Just that it’s their policy.

advice?

thanks!

bevred

quincy

The previous owners and/or you as purchaser of the house should have settled any outstanding balances owed on the house at closing and transferred the utilities into your name at that time.

You should seek reimbursement from the previous owner.

bevred

$50.00

my issue isn’t not with the amount, but that they opened an account without my permission.

quincy

If you are the owner of the home and using the utilities, you are the one rightfully being billed for the services. The name on the account is not as important as the address.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't think they so much created a new account as they changed the name on the existing account for your property.

quincy

You should seek out reimbursement from the sellers ... if $50 is a concern. But you are the legitimate one to bill for the use of utilities as you are the homeowner on record.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The outstanding sewer bill should have been handled at closing. Why was it not?
Because the transfer was done only upon notice from the county that property had changed hands. I don't know why they would bill the new owner, but $50 is really nothing to get worked up over and it would be easiest for the OP to simply pay it. If the OP wants to send a copy of the bill to the seller and ask for reimbursement, that can't hurt either.

Now, it sounds like the OP wants to avoid account charges until he's ready to re-start the utilities...I get that. However, the utility company may charge even more to come out and "open" new service after it's shut off.

quincy

Some cities in Maine bill the property owners for stormwater runoff. This service fee is for all properties, residential and commercial alike, and will be billed whether there is usage or not.

FlyingRon

Because the transfer was done only upon notice from the county that property had changed hands.
Yeah, so. This is why you pay the lawyer or title office or whoever handles your closing to find out such things: tax bills, utilities administered by the local government (as water/sewer is in many places), etc. SHOULD have been reflected at closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">