• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Ordance re: "junked cars" on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DRN

What is the name of your state? New York State.

I couldn't find the right forum to address this problem so I chose this one as the closest.

A city ordinance states that any unregistered vehicle on private property for more than two weeks is considered a "junked vehicle" and the owner is subject to fine. The ordinance doesn't say if it is the property owner or the vehicle owner.

Case Facts:

I live in a rented apartment in a private house. The owner passed away last year. The children have abandoned the house, the mortgage holder (bank)
has not taken any action and the city is starting seizure for non-payment of taxes. No one (children, bank) will accept rent payments.

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Gallant on the property, in the parking area in the rear of the house. The car is not registered because it needs engine work. It is is very good condition otherwise.

I was informed today by a codes officer that I will be fined for having a "junked vehicle."

Two questions:

1. Who is subject to the fine? Real property owner or vehicle owner?

2. Does this city ordinance violate my right of ownership?

As far as I can tell, vehicle registration is a requirement for operating a vehicle on public roads, not for purchasing or owning a vehicle. I believe only a title is required for ownership.

Thanks.

HomeGuru

DRN said:
What is the name of your state? New York State.

I couldn't find the right forum to address this problem so I chose this one as the closest.

A city ordinance states that any unregistered vehicle on private property for more than two weeks is considered a "junked vehicle" and the owner is subject to fine. The ordinance doesn't say if it is the property owner or the vehicle owner.

Case Facts:

I live in a rented apartment in a private house. The owner passed away last year. The children have abandoned the house, the mortgage holder (bank)
has not taken any action and the city is starting seizure for non-payment of taxes. No one (children, bank) will accept rent payments.

**A: so where have your rent payments being going? To a Court or escrow account I hope.

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Gallant on the property, in the parking area in the rear of the house. The car is not registered because it needs engine work. It is is very good condition otherwise.

I was informed today by a codes officer that I will be fined for having a "junked vehicle."

Two questions:

1. Who is subject to the fine? Real property owner or vehicle owner?

**A you are because that is your vehicle.

2. Does this city ordinance violate my right of ownership?

**A: no.

As far as I can tell, vehicle registration is a requirement for operating a vehicle on public roads, not for purchasing or owning a vehicle. I believe only a title is required for ownership.

Thanks.
**A: you are wrong. Get off your horse and either fix the vehicle or get rid of it.

D

DRN

Do you always answer posts with such a snotty attitude?

FYI, I live with my disabled wife. We live on my income only. With all of our other bills, fixing the car immediately is not an option. It is too good of a car to just get rid of and it's not really worth that much to a buyer when it needs major engine work.

Before you say we are living free, we are not. We put the rental payments in a special account for when ownership is finally decided.

Since posts are requested to be brief and to the point, there may be many other significant factors affecting the poster's problem, which are not included. Perhaps you might keep this in mind the next time you're tempted to pass judgement on the poster and give a snotty answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">