• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City Tree Root Damage Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nannycandy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Merced County, California.
The city owned trees are growing roots that are breaking the cement floor of my garage. I cannot afford to have the problem addressed. My husband just died last month. I dont know what to do. I went to City offices and filed a notification paper about the root damage. The city trucks drive by slow to look but dont stop. And nothing is being done. Can you advise me please.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Merced County, California.
The city owned trees are growing roots that are breaking the cement floor of my garage. I cannot afford to have the problem addressed. My husband just died last month. I dont know what to do. I went to City offices and filed a notification paper about the root damage. The city trucks drive by slow to look but dont stop. And nothing is being done. Can you advise me please.
**A: contact your insurance company and see what they say.

CdwJava

My parents live in San Jose. When a city-planted tree damages their driveway and sidewalk they were told that it was their responsibility to maintain the tree and trim back the roots. They thought that wrong since they could not KILL the tree, yet they were also responsible to keep the tree from doing damage to the sidewalk! In the end, they had to pay for the repaving of the sidewalk and for the city to trim back the roots. Fortunately for them, the city had a program that provided aid to seniors.

The point is that if the tree was on the easement of your property you may be liable for the maintenance of the tree whether you knew it or not.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">