• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil action (shoplifting)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? South Dakota
Can anyone tell me how long after a shoplifting incident involving a minor can the store take civil action against the parents. It's been 19 months since the incident and we just get a letter now that we have to pay x amount. Everything was settled and restitution was paid at the time of the incident and the store manager said he would take no further action and now we get this!!



You didn't say who the letter was from or what the x amount was for -- i.e., a fine or fee or something else. Are you actually being sued in a civil suit? Do you have a court date? I believe the statute of limitations for civil suit in N. Dakota is two or six years depending on the action. See:


Since you said you already made restitution, I would simply gather my documentation to that effect, which would be canceled checks or other paperwork, and send copies of that to whomever sent the letter. Sounds like some miscommunication going on and it will be up to you to prove to them you already paid them back.

Perhaps someone else will have something more concrete for you!
Last edited:


Senior Member
South Dakota is one of the many states that allow retailers to access civil penalties for those caught shoplifting. This is above the normal court ordered fines and restitution. It is legal and the retailer has 2 years to make a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential