• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil? Can I ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrmiah

I let my friend borrow my truck and he let one of his employees borrow it (without my permission), the employee stole it, he nor the truck has been found. Can I sue my friend for the cost of the truck? There was never a written agreement; I just let him borrow it not knowing he would be that irresponsible. I don't think my insurance will cover it, at least thats what they are saying.

dolebot

In that event your friend "lost a truck". It doesn't matter that he let someone else borrow it. He is responsible for it.

I would say yes - you can sue your friend for the depreciated value of your truck.

I don't think my insurance will cover it, at least thats what they are saying.
Next time you lend a friend a truck and he calls you and says "I let some guys borrow your truck that you lent me - and they stole it" - don't call your insurance company and say "I lent my truck to my friend who lent it to someone else and they stole it"

Say: "Someone stole my truck" - and thats what the police report should say too.

dolebot

Oh yeah, and just so you know for the future.

You CAN (that is: it is permitted) - sue anybody for any reason at any time. Except maybe god, but I don't know what happened when that guy sued god so maybe even god now.

Most folks really mean "will I win".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">