• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Lawsuit & Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joseph Esparza

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California

I am involved in a civil commercial dispute. If I were to lose the case, I could possibly pay the debt only by selling my home. As an alternative, could I file for bankruptcy protection and discharge this possible liability?


Senior Member
If the dispute does not involve any sort of fraud, you likely could bk the judgment.
The problem is, if you have excess equity in your home beyond what your state allows for an exemption, you'd have to file a Chapter 13 if you want to keep the home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential