• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Rights Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avery'smom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have a disabled son who is in the third grade, his school has repeatedly refused to adhere to the 504 coordinators instructions. They have all paperwork required by law and have been warned many times by the coordinator to make the necessary provisions for him. They have not. I have hired an attorney to enforce my sons rights at the school. The attorney says that my child’s civil rights have been violated and we need to sue. My question is if the school ignored doctor’s recommendation for accommodation so that my child could benefit from school and be ok, is it a civil rights violation? I’m not the type to sue anyone and never have before and I’m not sure what all it involves or if it is worth it. I don’t want to do something that will cause more harm than good for my son.

Avery'smom

Yes, but i know that some times things are twisted for the benefit of money and I was hoping to get a parents opinion on if it is worth going through.

xylene

If you have a lawyers opinion, and you do not trust it, then get a second opinion.

If you do not trust your lawyer as you / your son's best interested representative, then you need another lawyer.

Avery'smom

I was trying to find out others opinion on IF it was worth the hassle. I know what he gets out of it, I just wanted Parents input on if they would go through with it. And no I won't bite you, I don't know where you've been.:)

xylene

If the school is unmoving on the issue then you have no choice but to move towards enforcing you rights by a civil action.

That is an economic question you need to talk with the lawyer who will be handling a suit (if any) about and weigh against your personal finances and what the cost of alternative educational arrangements would be...

I was trying to find out others opinion on IF it was worth the hassle. I know what he gets out of it, I just wanted Parents input on if they would go through with it. And no I won't bite you, I don't know where you've been.:)
You know exactly what your lawyer will get out of it. Your agreement with him will tell you exactly what he will get. He will either work on a specified contingency fee or an hourly rate. If you aren't comfortable with a contingency fee, then offer to pay an hourly rate.

A parent's perspective is not a good perspective for legal advice. The only thing worth mentioning is that litigation is lengthy, expensive, frustrating, and often emotionally taxing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally, if you have a good case, then you can EASILY find and Ed. Law attorney who will take it totally on contingency.

HomeGuru

Generally, if you have a good case, then you can EASILY find and Ed. Law attorney who will take it totally on contingency.
**A: the OP may want a second opinion on that. Ok, I agree with your post so that's the second opinion.

Avery'smom

I was wanting an opinion as to would me suing being in my child’s best interest. It's more a moral question than legal I guess and after reading posts by senior member I know they often offer advice on both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">