• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Standby: is there an expiration date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CuriousChef

What is the name of your state? Washington

I’m a resident of Seattle, and was a victim of DV Assault in October 2017 by my live-in girlfriend, at the time. I was given a No Contact Order at that time, though she repeatedly breached the order to harass me. A Civil Standby was granted to her, and she collected the belongings she could carry, in the presence of the police, a couple of days after she was released from jail.

In early January of 2018, she accepted a plea deal whereby she avoided jail time, and transferred her probation to AZ to live with her parents. At that time, a new NCO was issued by the court, as well as a second Civil Standby. In the meantime, I shipped what remained of her belongings, at my own expense, to her parents home in AZ so as to just be done with her. I’ve now been informed (warned, actually) by a mutual friend that she intends to move back to Seattle this June.

My question is this: does the Civil Standby ever expire (is there a timeframe in which it must be used), or can she have it enacted at any point during the term (5 yrs) of the NCO? It has now been five months since the new NCO was issued, she no longer has any belongings in my home, and her name is no longer on the lease (she was legally removed from the lease this past February). While it may seem that she would have no reason to ask the local police to enact the Civil Standby at this point, I simply do not trust her—she has made several death threats to me in the past, and though I had reported these, the prosecutor chose not to pursue those charges of harassment in favor of ending the case more quickly, as a plea deal had already been offered to her at that time (prior to the sentencing hearing). I just don’t put it past her to use any excuse to enter my home (as it is, I’ve heard from several mutual friends that she regularly contacts them attempting to get updated information about me), regardless of whether or not she has any reasonable legal claim to anything here (again, she does not), and I’m really hoping that enough time will have passed that she will be unable to get the police to enact this latest civil standby. Any information would be appreciated.

CdwJava

The time frame is probably indicated in the order somewhere. If it is not, then there may be no specific expiration. But, no great need to stress about it if it never happens.

If she shows up with the police, explain that she has no property there and that you do not agree to her taking anything. The police cannot compel you to give up property ... she can sue you for property she claims are hers.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Washington

I’m a resident of Seattle, and was a victim of DV Assault in October 2017 by my live-in girlfriend, at the time. I was given a No Contact Order at that time, though she repeatedly breached the order to harass me. A Civil Standby was granted to her, and she collected the belongings she could carry, in the presence of the police, a couple of days after she was released from jail.

In early January of 2018, she accepted a plea deal whereby she avoided jail time, and transferred her probation to AZ to live with her parents. At that time, a new NCO was issued by the court, as well as a second Civil Standby. In the meantime, I shipped what remained of her belongings, at my own expense, to her parents home in AZ so as to just be done with her. I’ve now been informed (warned, actually) by a mutual friend that she intends to move back to Seattle this June.

My question is this: does the Civil Standby ever expire (is there a timeframe in which it must be used), or can she have it enacted at any point during the term (5 yrs) of the NCO? It has now been five months since the new NCO was issued, she no longer has any belongings in my home, and her name is no longer on the lease (she was legally removed from the lease this past February). While it may seem that she would have no reason to ask the local police to enact the Civil Standby at this point, I simply do not trust her—she has made several death threats to me in the past, and though I had reported these, the prosecutor chose not to pursue those charges of harassment in favor of ending the case more quickly, as a plea deal had already been offered to her at that time (prior to the sentencing hearing). I just don’t put it past her to use any excuse to enter my home (as it is, I’ve heard from several mutual friends that she regularly contacts them attempting to get updated information about me), regardless of whether or not she has any reasonable legal claim to anything here (again, she does not), and I’m really hoping that enough time will have passed that she will be unable to get the police to enact this latest civil standby. Any information would be appreciated.
I think that you may have an incorrect idea what a "civil standby" is. A civil standby is not a free pass to enter your home. Its not a ticket for the police to simply allow her to enter your home on a whim.

If she were to show up at your door with the police in tow, you can simply inform them that she has had no property at your home since whatever date it was that the last of her property was removed from your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">