• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim back tax on Uk purchases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WallJ123

Hi,

I'm James - I've recently come back from a trip in the UK where I picked up the new Apple Watch. I was wondering if it is possible to calculate the tax and claim everything back since I have purchased it for business or re-sale purposes. I also wanted to add that the purchases was made on a credit card, I don't know if that changes anything. Any advice on how to go about this process would be super appreciated.

Thanks

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You don't sound sure as to what you plan to do with the watch, and that's not a good sign of a deductible expense. If you are in the business of selling watches and bought watches in the UK for resale as part of your business the cost of the watches themselves would be deducible as an inventory expense. The taxes paid to the UK might be deductible, too, but the details on the tax paid matters.

If you bought for you to wear, then claiming a business deduction for that is going to be pretty difficult.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi,

I'm James - I've recently come back from a trip in the UK where I picked up the new Apple Watch. I was wondering if it is possible to calculate the tax and claim everything back since I have purchased it for business or re-sale purposes. I also wanted to add that the purchases was made on a credit card, I don't know if that changes anything. Any advice on how to go about this process would be super appreciated.

Thanks
Did you actually pay the tax?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">