• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claim offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rat

What is the name of your state? colorado

the at fault insurance company from my traffic accident has offered to settle with me for $9000. My medical bills totalled just over $10,000.... is this a fair settlement?

Last edited:

JETX

$9000 offered for $10.00 in medical bills!!! Sounds mighty fair to me!!

However, if you really meant $10,000 in bills, no it doesn't sound 'fair' to you.

R

rat

what would be fair (not knowing all the circumstances of course), on a $10,000 medical bill?

JETX

That is one of the many unanswerable questions.....

"Fair Compensation" depends on many intangible factors, including location, community 'attitudes', long-term affects, scarring, emotional, pain, suffering, actual types of injuries, etc.

What would be fair to you??

P

ProResearch

The attorney I consulted with told me he *always* asks for 4 or 5 times medical damages, which gives room for negotiation. However, sometimes if you ask for too much too soon, you risk the chance that the other side will not take you seriously. Another side is that some say $2,000 for every month you were in treatment, so if you were in treatment for 8 months, that would mean $16,000 BUT you would ask for more because you will have to "come down some." But like Halkert said, this is highly individualized based on the criteria he states, which is why it's called PERSONAL injury.

If you have suffered a lot and have permanent scarring, you should expect more than if you are generally okay today.

Talking to an attorney for a free consultation wouldn't hurt - they may give you an idea what your injury settles for in your county and state areas. I definitely wouldn't take $9,000 for $10,000 in medicals. They are just starting low, hoping to either psych you out or they know they will have to come up some, but don't want to go too high.

Good "luck."

T

Taffycat

With $10,000 in medical bills, do you mean the $9,000 was offered as pain and suffering, or is this an offer for both medical bills AND pain & suffering?

I would naturally assume it's for pain & suffering only. Just wanted to clarify. Trying to get an idea of what to expect.

At what point should one seek the aid of an attorney? Medical bills are beginning to pile up after nearly 3 months, but we are by no means finished with medical treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">