• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming a child on your taxes, that you have joint custody of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swetbrown1

I live in Roanoke, VA. I want ot know why if you have legal joint custody of your child and not physical custody, why can't you claim this child on your taxes if the other parent has given you permission?. Is there anything that can be done to do this legaly? Recieved a form that said i have to file some ammendment for last year even though i had this child in my household or my mothers household more4 that 50% of the year.

Thank you for any help you can give me and i do pay childsupport for all three of my children and was just claiming the one while she clamed the other two.

L

loku

Dependency exemption

Thank you for any help you can give me and i do pay childsupport for all three of my children and was just claiming the on

Under the general rule, if the divorce decree does not provide who gets the exemption, the parent who has physical custody of the child for the greater part of the year is generally treated as the parent who provides more than half of the child's support, and that parent gets the deduction. It does not matter whether the custodial parent actually provided more than half of the support.

There is an exception that could apply to you. The noncustodial parent will be treated as providing more than half of the child's support if the custodial parent signs a written declaration that he or she will not claim the exemption for the child, and the noncustodial parent attaches this written declaration to his or her return.

I don’t know if sending the IRS the written declaration now will help for last year, but send it in and try. And for sure include the declaration on this year’s return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">