• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming a non biological kid as a dependent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am asking this question for one of my employees who isn't computer literate.

Two years ago he allowed one of his sons friends (now 16) to move into their home because of issues with the kids parents. The mother left and then the father started shacking up with another woman leaving the kid home alone (14 at the time). They lost their home to foreclosure and father is living in another city with his mom, the mother has left the picture. The father supplies no support financially and claims he has no way of providing for the child or offering a place for him to live.

My employee has been paying for all the kids necessities and keeping him in school.

Can he claim this kid as a dependent without having legal custody? If not what needs to happen so he can?



Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential