• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Copyright of something that is not theirs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cloudish

I'm trying to find a CNC vector file, to produce a certain 3D puzzle. The physical puzzle in question, has been produced by dozens of companies from around the World, mostly China. I have found multiple people selling the CNC vector file of this puzzle. Many of them are claiming copyright of the file. Some of them are not. Most of them are claiming creation limitations on the product, saying if you use the file, you can only produce so many copies, before they require you to re-purchase the file. From what I can source there are people selling the file with no restrictions, and to the best of my knowledge, the file is the same from all sellers. However they are selling it far more expensive than a person who is claiming copyright.
So is the copyright based on who you/I acquire the file from? Do any of them get to claim copyright, if they are not the original creators? What is my responsibility? Can someone claim Copyright on me, if I get it from a different source than them?
Many of the people selling the file and claiming copyright are US based. However, I have found copies from different countries, such as Australia, and the UK. Which goes back, to if I buy the File from someone in Australia, with no claims to copyright, can someone in the US claim Copyright infringement? Or, as I asked previously, how can any of them claim copyright on it at all?

PayrollHRGuy

The actual CNC vector file was created by someone they have the right to copyright it. Even though the outcome may be the same the file would likely be different. I find it hard to believe you opened up the file and looked an every one of the 300,000 bytes to see if they were all the same.

Buy it from the least expensive seller.

Cloudish

The actual CNC vector file was created by someone they have the right to copyright it. Even though the outcome may be the same the file would likely be different. I find it hard to believe you opened up the file and looked an every one of the 300,000 bytes to see if they were all the same.

Buy it from the least expensive seller.
So you're saying that they can copyright it, even though they are making that file off of someone else's physical work? So if I make, say a vector file off of an image of Elsa from Disney, I can copyright that vector File, and sell it, imposing my copyright on others?

And no, I did not check the files. I would need to A: purchase or acquire them all. Then B: Know how to check all 300,000 bites.

The cheapest buyer, is claiming productive copyright. Claiming I am only allowed to produce a limited number.

Cloudish

S
So if I make, say a vector file off of an image of Elsa from Disney, I can copyright that vector File, and sell it, imposing my copyright on others?.
Sorry that's a really bad example, as that would probably fall under a Likeness copyright. But the idea is the same.

FlyingRon

The CNC (or other) program to make something, even something in the public domain or even not copyrightable at all, is copyrightable. It may owe some additional copyright to the underlying object, but if such didn't have one to begin with, so be it.

A good example of this is type faces and fonts. A type face (the shape of letter) is not copyrightable. The font (a file/program with the data to produce material in that typeface) is copyrightable. (And not to mention the font NAMES themselves can be trademarked).

Cloudish

Are you in the US, Cloudish?
Temporarily in Canada. However, I do a lot of my work in the US. Which is why I'm asking on a US site. I have another Thread going on a Canadian Forum as well. Though not getting a lot of answers from them.

quincy

There generally should be a non-exclusive limited license agreement to use the file and any copyrighted images, texts, logos. Any such beast?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">