• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Investment Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bjns935

I rented a piece of property, put up utility deposites, got permits, attended state certification class, made property improvements, etc. I could not get floor planning coverage for the units to sale. I never got to open the business. How will I file my investment loss? Will I have to show everthing in detail? What method and form?

L

loku

Investment loss

The easiest way to do this is to deduct your loss on the line for "other income" on Page 1 of your 1040. The alternative is to show it as a loss from a business on Schedule C of form 1040. The latter is probably technically correct, but the result is the same and showing it as a loss on "other income" is much easier.

Include a schedule with the return, showing the loss in as much detail as possible. The last line of the schedule should be the amount of loss. Label that line as "Loss to Page 1, line (give the number of the line for "other income" on the return.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">