• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming payment from a company in a different country - PAYPAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdriaanHell

Collecting payments from foreign businesses
I had a contract with a business on PayPal. My job was to Translate from Chinese to English and to Dub English 52 episodes of a kids TV show. They paid a deposit to start the project. They were actually contracted by the main client in China, but this company French outsourced me to do the work. The due date for the service I needed to provide was the 26 April. The contract commenced at the beginning of April. It was a tight deadline, but I believed I could do it. By the 18th, i realized I was not going to make it and told the client I could not deliver by that date due to the sheer workload - I told them within the first 2 weeks of May it could be done. They then filed a dispute on PayPal - I continued to work on the project. They got their deposit back, even though we were negotiating new terms and conditions via PayPal, including a massive discount which they agreed to. All under the agreement that I would still deliver the files to them. I went on to finish the project and they said they would pay me via PayPal within 30-40 days of delivery. I delivered everything to the client in May. They have now blocked communication from me and are not answering me. I don't think they intend to pay. This client is in France. What can I do? I am a small business. I have people to pay for this project and my PayPal balance is sitting in a negative due to the refund they processed and I am stuck now. PayPal do not want to 'force' the client to pay me - even though they 'forced' me to give back their deposit, regardless of the fact that the work was completed and there is plenty evidence thereof. The only thing I thought of was first trying to send a demand of payment letter but then will that even have any power? What authority can I take it to? PayPal are completely unhelpful and are supporting this exploitative behaviour.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What can I do? I am a small business. I have people to pay for this project and my PayPal balance is sitting in a negative due to the refund they processed and I am stuck now. PayPal do not want to 'force' the client to pay me - even though they 'forced' me to give back their deposit, regardless of the fact that the work was completed and there is plenty evidence thereof. The only thing I thought of was first trying to send a demand of payment letter but then will that even have any power? What authority can I take it to? PayPal are completely unhelpful and are supporting this exploitative behaviour.
The first question I have for you is where are YOU located? Your spelling of the last word in your post suggests to me that you are not in the United States. This board deals with legal issues in the U.S. so if you are not in the U.S. we aren't likely to be able to help you much with this. If you are in the U.S. then please tell us in what state you are located and whether the French company has any presence in the U.S. (offices, property, or whatever).

AdriaanHell

Hi thanks for the reply.

I didn't realize this us a US only site. I just really need help. If you can't help please recommend an international site that is willing and able. I just don't know what to do in my situation. I am in South Africa.

The first question I have for you is where are YOU located? Your spelling of the last word in your post suggests to me that you are not in the United States. This board deals with legal issues in the U.S. so if you are not in the U.S. we aren't likely to be able to help you much with this. If you are in the U.S. then please tell us in what state you are located and whether the French company has any presence in the U.S. (offices, property, or whatever).
Hi

quincy

Hi thanks for the reply.

I didn't realize this us a US only site. I just really need help. If you can't help please recommend an international site that is willing and able. I just don't know what to do in my situation. I am in South Africa.

Hi
You can enter "South Africa international business lawyers" into your search bar.

Good luck.

AdriaanHell

I thought Americans are all about helping people who need help globally, crossing borders. If anybody is out there who can help me - I'd appreciate it. A google search isn't help. Thank you.

quincy

I thought Americans are all about helping people who need help globally, crossing borders. If anybody is out there who can help me - I'd appreciate it. A google search isn't help. Thank you.
FreeAdvice addresses U.S. law questions and U.S. legal concerns only. Sorry.

Laws vary from country to country, often in substantial ways.

We do not provide attorney referrals.

AdriaanHell

It's an international law concern which could be applicable to a US citizen. I'm sure others have been in my position who reside in the US.

quincy

It's an international law concern which could be applicable to a US citizen. I'm sure others have been in my position who reside in the US.
You have a contract issue. You will need to find legal assistance in your area of the world. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">