• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming prizes after you quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhinkpcts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga

I quit a part time retail job 2 weeks ago but a prize I earned weeks before that I was already taxed on had not come in. Do I still have a right to claim this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends entirely on the terms under which the prize was awarded to you.

Rhinkpcts

Wow seems kind of crazy that you can be taxed on something that you never get. I'll have to do some digging to see what the terms and conditions are. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Seems kind of crazy that you were taxed on it before you got it, too. What's up with that?

Rhinkpcts

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Will they take that amount back off my total income if I'm not allowed to claim it. According to the terms and conditions if you are no longer Employed at time of prize distribution you forfeit it. Greedy corporations screwing the little people!

justalayman

According to the terms and conditions if you are no longer Employed at time of prize distribution you forfeit it.
sounds like you aren't getting a prize, just a surprise.

although they withheld taxes from your pay for the added income, they are not required to repay them to you. It will all come out in the wash when you file taxes at the end of the year.

they should not include the added income in your earnings if they do not pay it out to you. If they include it in your year end reporting, demand a corrected W2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">