• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claims Time Frame

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtran

What is the name of your state? TX
Can life insurance company take a long as they want to process my insurance claim? It has been over 5 months since I submitted the claim. The insurance company said they are not paying out until the police can clear me of any involvement of the insured's death. It was an aggravated home invasion!! However, I think the police might think otherwise.
The police have not even called me back for a second interview and they are also avoiding my calls. Therefore, I really don 't I am a suspect....I took a polygraph test and PASSED it. What if the police will never clear me as a suspect. So does the insurance company will not have to pay? Almost six months....I have been very patience. What if the case remains unsolve? Are there rules of the insurance co. which states that the insurance company only pay out under the influence of the police? I don't recall that in my policy. There has to be a Legal Time Frame for this kind of situation. I can not be the first person to run into this problem. The policy was over 3 years old.
Fustrated in Tx.

Betty

What is the name of your state? TX
Can life insurance company take a long as they want to process my insurance claim? It has been over 5 months since I submitted the claim. The insurance company said they are not paying out until the police can clear me of any involvement of the insured's death. It was an aggravated home invasion!! However, I think the police might think otherwise.
The police have not even called me back for a second interview and they are also avoiding my calls. Therefore, I really don 't I am a suspect....I took a polygraph test and PASSED it. What if the police will never clear me as a suspect. So does the insurance company will not have to pay? Almost six months....I have been very patience. What if the case remains unsolve? Are there rules of the insurance co. which states that the insurance company only pay out under the influence of the police? I don't recall that in my policy. There has to be a Legal Time Frame for this kind of situation. I can not be the first person to run into this problem. The policy was over 3 years old.
Fustrated in Tx.
I assume you are the beneficiary on the policy - what relationship are you to the deceased insured? What is the amount of the policy? An ins. co. will not pay out the policy proceeds to a bene as long as they believe the bene might have had something to do with insured's death & are continuing their investigation. Just how did the insured die - can we have more details?

mtran

Ins. Claim

Step-son. He was shot during a home robbery. He was home alone when this happened. 250,000.

Betty

In most jurisdictions, life ins. cos. are required to pay death claims within 60 days after receiving proper notification of death & receipt of a death certificate. However, this time frame can be longer if there is a problem. It looks like, in your case, they are still doing a continuing investigation regarding the details of your step-father's death. However; if you so desire, you can put in a complaint with the ins. dept. of the state where the ins. co. is located. I don't know where you sent your claim off to. If it was Tx, where you reside, the address & phone # would be: Texas Dept. of Ins., P.O. Box 149104, Austin, Tx. 78714-9104. consumer helpline/complaint line 800-252-3439. If the ins. co. is located elsewhere, you can do a google search for the address/phone # of the ins. dept. of that state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">