• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ruzena L. Fisher

I live in Ga. and I was recently
hit from behind. I took the police report to the company of the boy that hit me and the claims adjuster told me that I only needed to get on estimate because the compahy excepts any shop. I did this and faxed it to
him. as he requested so I went an got one. something happen and I decided not to use the place I got the estimate from but the company wrote the check to me and the shop is this allowed should I not get to chose who I trust to fix my car without having to get another estimate. I would not have minded doing this but i just thought this was to acess the damage to my car not lock me into the shop?
If some could explain this to me I would appreciate it

A

Attorney_Replogle

Your situation is not that unusual. It is common for a claims adjuster to send the check that way. You just didn't understand that the insurance company was under the assumption that you were going to use that particular shop. Not use that shop's estimate as a basis to start negotiations. After all, they were not going to negotiate the property damage portion.

So, you will have to send the check back to the adjuster and ask for another to be re-issued in the name of body repair company XYZ.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">