• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clarification on Detail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdummy

What is the name of your state? GA

Recently divorced, no children and 2 dogs awarded to wife. Husband responsibile for certain amount of money for vet bill in the year 2005. Husband only minimally contributing and ignoring requests to pay upfront or reimburse after treatment. cost for simply yearly checkup for both dogs is over 300.

Question: considering the judge was adamant about the fact that the dogs are property and nothing but property, and considering that property was awarded to the wife with the written agreement of payment by the spouse of the first 1,000 in vet/dr. bills in the year 6/05 to 6/06, does the spouse that owns the property have a right to make a claim under the homeowners policy under LOSS of Property if the spouse does not pay the court approved cost?

the court system has told me flat out that my issue is laughable and they won't even consider filing contempt charges for non-payment.

Any thoughts?

P.S. these are not just ordinary dogs, they have almost royal bloodlines....even if they were mutts, don't I have a point? OR maybe not.

Last edited:

pb1963

Opinion of a non attorney

My thought is that property is property and if I were you I would research your homeowners policy in excruciating detail before taking that claim on.

BUT, I think you may have a case and I say go for it.......but I am no expert, just someone that can relate to your woes in GA. AND, property is property!

bigdummy said:

Recently divorced, no children and 2 dogs awarded to wife. Husband responsibile for certain amount of money for vet bill in the year 2005. Husband only minimally contributing and ignoring requests to pay upfront or reimburse after treatment. cost for simply yearly checkup for both dogs is over 300.

Question: considering the judge was adamant about the fact that the dogs are property and nothing but property, and considering that property was awarded to the wife with the written agreement of payment by the spouse of the first 1,000 in vet/dr. bills in the year 6/05 to 6/06, does the spouse that owns the property have a right to make a claim under the homeowners policy under LOSS of Property if the spouse does not pay the court approved cost?

the court system has told me flat out that my issue is laughable and they won't even consider filing contempt charges for non-payment.

Any thoughts?

P.S. these are not just ordinary dogs, they have almost royal bloodlines....even if they were mutts, don't I have a point? OR maybe not.

LdiJ

pb1963 said:
My thought is that property is property and if I were you I would research your homeowners policy in excruciating detail before taking that claim on.

BUT, I think you may have a case and I say go for it.......but I am no expert, just someone that can relate to your woes in GA. AND, property is property!
No way would a homeowners policy ever cover routine vet bills.

Nor would it even cover catastrophic bills unless there was a rider for the dogs.

skyspirit

bigdummy said:

Any thoughts?

HAHAHAHA!

oh...sorry...

<snicker>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">