• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class 4 felony in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matt99

I have been charged with a class 4 felony for aggravated assault in Illinois for telling a police officer to get his flash light out of my f...ing face before I kill him. He was questioning me at the time about a verbal argument that had taken place in my neighborhood. I had been drinking and acted like a fool. There was no physical contact between me and the officer. I acted terribly and I'm embarrassed and ashamed. I have no prior criminal record. How likely is it that I will get jail time for this first time felony?

Just Blue

I have been charged with a class 4 felony for aggravated assault in Illinois for telling a police officer to get his flash light out of my f...ing face before I kill him. He was questioning me at the time about a verbal argument that had taken place in my neighborhood. I had been drinking and acted like a fool. There was no physical contact between me and the officer. I acted terribly and I'm embarrassed and ashamed. I have no prior criminal record. How likely is it that I will get jail time for this first time felony?
This is something you should only be discussing with your defense attorney. Not your family, friends, co-workers and most certainly not random people on the PUBLIC internet.

Matt99

That would depend on how likely it is that you retain a competent lawyer. And follow Blue's advice.
Both you and Blue are right. I guess I was just looking for encouragement from someone who has been through something same or similar and avoided jail time. I am being arraigned tomorrow and will have to ask for a public defender. I haven't shared anything on this site or any other that isn't already public knowledge. Didn't think it would hurt to throw my question out there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Both you and Blue are right. I guess I was just looking for encouragement from someone who has been through something same or similar and avoided jail time. I am being arraigned tomorrow and will have to ask for a public defender. I haven't shared anything on this site or any other that isn't already public knowledge. Didn't think it would hurt to throw my question out there.
If this was the only place you posted, then prior to your post, you hadn't ADMITTED to your crime.
Of course, you've probably already told your story to everyone who would listen...

Just Blue

This is a legal site, and we offer legal guidance. We don't offer "encouragement".

DO NOT DISCUSS THIS WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN YOUR ATTORNEY.

*Not trying to yell at you, but just making it clear that you should not seek "encouragement" from anyone other than your defense attorney. :)

zddoodah

How likely is it that I will get jail time for this first time felony?
This is something about which only a criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where you've been charged can speak intelligently.

I was just looking for encouragement from someone who has been through something same or similar and avoided jail time.
I understand why you'd want that, but you're not going to find anyone like that here. This is a site for general questions about the law.

In case you haven't already read them, you can read 720 ILCS 5/12-1 and 12-2 at this link.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">