• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class action against known defective product? " Intel Atom C2000 bug is killing products from multiple manufacturers"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Starcraft

What is the name of your state? FLorida

Article headline from Intel " Intel Atom C2000 bug is killing products from multiple manufacturers"
.." If you have Avoton or Rangeley hardware deployed for any reason, including as a component in embedded systems or networking hardware, we recommend contacting the vendor to determine whether replacement hardware is required or available. "

..." that Intel’s C2000 server platform — that’s the Avoton and Rangeley low-power server variants, all of which are based on Atom — have a serious flaw that’s bricking hardware. "

One of those manufacturers is synology who manufactures Network attached storage device or sometimes called RAID systems.

[image removed]

Enterprise level business, medium business, small business, home power users,etc.... All use these devices for data storage. Instead of just having 1 hard drive in their computer or some external drive, these are a collection of hard drives in a device that you attached to your network and everyone can access the files they need or store files on it.

Anyway, I invested in an expensive Synology product which is over $1,000 and I had recently purchased 2 of them!

I contacted synology about a possible recall and they said their official position is the problem does not exist.
They denied there is any problem and said they would only replace the product if under warranty but did not admit or acknowledged any problem or offer to replace a detective unit from what has become an official announced defect from Intel themselves.

What is a company obligation to do good when they have a known defective product?

Thanks.

I found the headline you quoted in a tech magazine, but could not find a press release from Intel. The tech magazine article is dated February 8, 2017, so the problem may have been fixed by now.
If I get the OK from the administrators I'll post a link to the article.

PayrollHRGuy

Their obligation is to honor their warranty until a court tells them otherwise.

And that headline is not from Intel it is from a blog called ExtreamTech

Starcraft

Have you had any problems?
I just purchased it and so its too early for me to tell. However there are horror stories on the internet about how people running these in a small business come into work one day and find the unit turn off and unable to turn or or unable to stay on for more than 15 minutes. Purchase another replacement out of pocket to continue business and having the new one break in the next 5 months.

These are the devices that you keep all your family movies, pictures, legal documents, work documents, etc.... Its not something you want to place in a ticking time bomb.

So to answer your question. Not yet but expecting to be a problem from what I search on Google/youtube.

If there is a bad version of this problem and one that works without the known glitch that Intel has talked about in the press release, I would say that at very least, I would like to replace fix glitch one. I have asked online and I'm told that Synology replacement have a revised motherboard that don't carry this glitch.

I think they should offer people a replacement if they have the one with the known glitch issue with the bad CPUs. The question is are they required to?

Last edited:

Starcraft

I found the headline you quoted in a tech magazine, but could not find a press release from Intel. The tech magazine article is dated February 8, 2017, so the problem may have been fixed by now.
If I get the OK from the administrators I'll post a link to the article.
There are number of articles besides that one one. Google search " Intel Atom C2000 Bug" This is a known issue and when they say it will " brick" a machine, that means that your machine becomes nothing more than a Metal/plastic brick regardless of the hundred or thousands spend on it.

As in 100% dead/unusable.

Starcraft

Their obligation is to honor their warranty until a court tells them otherwise.

And that headline is not from Intel it is from a blog called ExtreamTech
Google "Intel Atom C2000 Bug". This is a known issue to brick machines them. Meaning your thousands of dollars spend because worth about $0. The machine is nothing more than a piece of scrap metal at that point.

Its known that the Intel Atom C2000 is a defective chip with devastating consequences for those effected.

Is there no such thing as product liability on defective products?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I were you, I'd invest in an additional layer of non-Intel Atom based backup systems.

PayrollHRGuy

Google "Intel Atom C2000 Bug". This is a known issue to brick machines them. Meaning your thousands of dollars spend because worth about $0. The machine is nothing more than a piece of scrap metal at that point.

Its known that the Intel Atom C2000 is a defective chip with devastating consequences for those effected.

Is there no such thing as product liability on defective products?

Sure there is, within the scope of their warranty or what a court orders. This has been a known issue since at least February 2017 and there is a fix out there.

Since you have not been affected you wouldn't have a claim anyway.

quincy

Only certain Synology models were affected in 2017. There were two flaws identified and repairs are available.

I do not see that you have any legal action to pursue.

FlyingRon

Wah wah wah. If you've worked in the industry, you've know there's been serious problems with just about every Intel chip from time to time. If your server is defective and within warranty complain to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will complain to Intel (they have clout). I spent a few years working on graphic processor boards for IBM using the intel i860 RISC chips. I can't tell you the number of chips we went through on our development boards. I still have some of those chips lying around loose in my office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">