• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clean Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoshHines

My wife left and is filing for divorce. Her demands for a clean divorce involve splitting 2 years worth of tax returns that I earned as sole breadwinner. Some havent been cashed yet. This is difficult considering she isn't here to sign them. What is the best way to go about this to make sure it is legally air tight. I didn't want to just hand money over to her. Events and transactions need to be proven and notorized. Whats the best way to go about this? I thought about getting a lawyer, but I dont know if spending the money is necessary. Is there a way I could write up a contract that we agree on.

justalayman

You might want to check the expiration date on those checks. Any government check I’ve run across was good for only 90 days.

xylene

That's like so suspicious I think it isn't surprising your wife left asking questions about your handling of the taxes....

LdiJ

Why have you not cashed a refund check from TWO tax years ago? That's super suspicious.
There are actually a few people out there who put off cashing checks until they actually need the money. Its a horrendously dumb practice, but people do it. I have had more than one tax client whom I had to help get a replacement check from the IRS because they foolishly held off cashing the check.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes there are. I have a PEO client and one of the owners gets a monthly 5 figure check. There are usually 3-4 uncashed checks at any given time.

commentator

There are some people in the world who are willing to save a few bucks by eating the 49 cent pot pies and the adulterated ice cream products instead of buying the real stuff. They are the legitimate prey of others who are willing to give them the quality of products and services they need. This guy will end up with a divorce situation that costs him a small fortune and have the rest of his life to regret it because he thinks he's being smart now.

A family member explained that he and his soon to be ex had a "gentleman's agreement" as to what would happen in their divorce, no counsel necessary. Later he found that it was as Butch Cassidy's opponent said in the famous movie, "Rules? There ain't no rules in a knife fight!"

I got the impression this is two years of tax returns with refunds to be had that have not been filed yet.

LdiJ

There are some people in the world who are willing to save a few bucks by eating the 49 cent pot pies and the adulterated ice cream products instead of buying the real stuff. They are the legitimate prey of others who are willing to give them the quality of products and services they need. This guy will end up with a divorce situation that costs him a small fortune and have the rest of his life to regret it because he thinks he's being smart now.

A family member explained that he and his soon to be ex had a "gentleman's agreement" as to what would happen in their divorce, no counsel necessary. Later he found that it was as Butch Cassidy's opponent said in the famous movie, "Rules? There ain't no rules in a knife fight!"

I got the impression this is two years of tax returns with refunds to be had that have not been filed yet.
He specifically used the phrase "haven't been cashed yet", not, haven't been filed yet. He also used the word "return" when he meant "refund". Unfortunately quite a few people do that. Just this week I had someone come in about an IRS letter that they received and I asked them if we had done their original return, their response was "We didn't have a return, we owed money".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">