• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cleaning charges after move-out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stewrad

I'm in Washington and recently moved out of a 750 sq. foot house with 9 windows. The landlords charged me 18 hours at a rate of $25/hour to clean the blinds and windows (plus an additional 12 hours at $25/hour to clean the house, including 45 minutes to clean cobwebs, pressure wash moss off cement, etc.). Is this excessive? They also told me before I moved out that they would be hiring a cleaning company so whatever I didn't want to clean, the company would clean. The house was in a clean condition when I left and I have pictures showing that. They are charging me for their own hours, and I'm sure a cleaning company would have been more efficient and cheaper. Am I wrong in claiming that they're request is unreasonable?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I'm in Washington and recently moved out of a 750 sq. foot house with 9 windows. The landlords charged me 18 hours at a rate of $25/hour to clean the blinds and windows (plus an additional 12 hours at $25/hour to clean the house, including 45 minutes to clean cobwebs, pressure wash moss off cement, etc.). Is this excessive? They also told me before I moved out that they would be hiring a cleaning company so whatever I didn't want to clean, the company would clean. The house was in a clean condition when I left and I have pictures showing that. They are charging me for their own hours, and I'm sure a cleaning company would have been more efficient and cheaper. Am I wrong in claiming that they're request is unreasonable?
My own personal opinion is that there is no way that it could have taken a total of 30 hours to clean a 750 sq ft empty house, including 9 windows and blinds. I also don't see how they can hold you responsible for clean moss off cement. 18 hours for the windows and blinds is TWO hours per window. That is absurd.

Gail in Georgia

My own opinion is that any of our opinions in this matter means nothing in terms of anything legal regarding this matter.

If you disagree with what was kept out of your security deposit the first step is to write what is known as a "demand" letter to your landlord/management, demanding what you believe you are fairly owed back and giving them a certain amount of time (say, two weeks after they receive this) to provide you these funds.

If no response (or a response not to your satisfaction) your next step would be to consider a lawsuit regarding these funds. Such lawsuits are typically handled through Small Claims court as they tend to involve relatively small amounts of money in dispute. It's often inexpensive to file and you would represent yourself at the hearing. Your pictures would be your evidence of the condition of the rental unit at move out.

Good luck...

Gail

zddoodah

Is this excessive?
Rather obviously, since no one here knows anything about the condition in which you left the house (other than your conclusory statements), there's no way to know about this. That said, 18 hours to clean 9 windows (2 hours per window), while the rest of the house only took 12 hours to clean, is certainly an eyebrow raiser.

Did you take pictures and/or video of the house's condition when you vacated it?

You mentioned 30.75 hours of work at $25 per hour, which comes to $768.75. Is that more or less than your security deposit?

Assuming the amount withheld was less than your deposit, and assuming the landlord complied with the relevant law regarding deductions from your deposit, your recourse is to sue in small claims court.

Stewrad

Yes, I understand it's hard to tell based on my opinion of clean since my definition may be different than someone else's. I did take pictures, but haven't figured out how to post them here? I did a basic clean out - walls, cupboards, baseboards, and counters were wiped down, laminate floors were swept and cleaned, bathroom was clean (no dirt, mildew, surface stains). I did agree to pay for things that were reasonable - cleaning the oven (as I didn't want to do the oven self-clean process they required), dusting blinds, and I know for sanitation purposes it makes sense to have a professional go through and do a thorough cleaning.

I have a demand letter out to them for partial return of the deposit, as their request exceeded my deposit amount and they're demanding an additional amount. Unfortunately, I believe it will have to go to small claims court. I just wanted to get a few outside opinions about what is reasonable vs. excessive since I know friends' and family's opinions are a little biased.

I appreciate your feedback.

FarmerJ

Do your self a favor and get those pics printed out NOW before something happens to your phone or camera because with out those pictures a judge will not be able to see at least your record of how you left it.

Stewrad

Do your self a favor and get those pics printed out NOW before something happens to your phone or camera because with out those pictures a judge will not be able to see at least your record of how you left it.
Agreed...I have them backed up in two places and printed out for that reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">