• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client-reimbursed business expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Situation: my wife is an event planner. Occasionally she has to pay bills for her clients. Example: picking up the bar tab when the father of the groom is too distracted, or paying the restaurant bill for a rehearsal dinner. The client later pays her back for these items. How should she report these items on schedule c? If she reports them as "meals" (50% deductible) then her income will be over reported. She of course didn't eat a meal herself - just paid the bill as a service. So what category would the bills go into? Thank you!

LdiJ

Situation: my wife is an event planner. Occasionally she has to pay bills for her clients. Example: picking up the bar tab when the father of the groom is too distracted, or paying the restaurant bill for a rehearsal dinner. The client later pays her back for these items. How should she report these items on schedule c? If she reports them as "meals" (50% deductible) then her income will be over reported. She of course didn't eat a meal herself - just paid the bill as a service. So what category would the bills go into? Thank you!
I would create a different category under "other expenses" for client or event expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">