• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Applicant vs Additional Card Holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plieb64

What is the name of your state? California
A friend of mine received a credit card and put my name down as an additional card holder, not a co-applicant. My friend has defaulted on the card and the credit company is now coming after me for the repayment. As an additional card holder am I legaly responsible for the debt?

G

gottago

Did you ever charge anything on the card? If so, you're responsible for the portion of the balance that reflects your charges.

P

plieb64

Yes I did use the card and I also paid off the portion that I used. It was only about 200 dollars I would be glad to pay that again and I have told them that, but they keep insisting that I am responsible for the entire amount regardless of the "cardholder type" that I am. I just want to make sure that if I continue to blow them off, I won't be responsible for the entire amount.

bigun

Before you blow them off, see how serious they are about holding you responsible. I'd suggest you get copies of your credit report and see if they have the card listed on your report as being however late or, chargedoff as the case may be. If it's on your report, post back.

djohnson

You might also try asking in writing to them to provide you with verification of why they are holding it against you. It may be that that is what he thought he was doing but added you as co-applicant. Any verification you can get can't hurt you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">