• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Applicant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyGolightly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Everything is going along swimmingly in my pre-filing information gathering phase, until I noticed that I am a co-applicant on my daughter's Best Buy card.

I guess I co-signed for it a couple years ago and she's been great and faithfully paying for things she buys ever since and I've never given it any though - until now...

Since it shows up on my credit report - I have to acknowledge it somehow in the bankruptcy process. Is the store my creditor, or is she?

Most imprtantly, will my bankruptcy effect her credit rating (which is stellar, btw) because of this?

I've thought of taking $300 out of my bank account and paying off the balance of the card before I file, but I'm sure that would raise an eyebrow - so, probably not a good idea, huh?

Any advice is appreciated, as always. Thanks!

bigun

The store is the creditor-not your daughter.
Actually, you could pay the card $300 with no ramificatons. To create a preference issue, you'd have to pay over $600 within 90 days of filing.

Your bk should have no affect on your daughters credit history as long as she stays current on any joint accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">