• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Debtor Responsibility w/ mileage overage for a car lease in wife's Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IWALUNB

What is the name of your state? Florida
I divorced my ex-wife and then she subsequently included OUR leased vehicle in her bankruptcy. She requested to surrender the vehicle in her letter of intent and did not assume the lease. The vehicle was discharged in her bankruptcy. I have had the vehicle the whole time and have continued to make payments. The vehicle does not show on my credit history. No one ever came to pick up the vehicle. I have made all of the lease payments on the vehicle and they are due to come pick it up on May 11th. As the co debtor, will I be responsible for the mileage overage when they come to get the vehicle ?

justalayman

If you’re on the contract, you need to understand that while your ex wife was released from any debt associated with the lease, you weren’t. You would owe whatever is owed just like you were the only lessee.

If you were not a contractual party, well, you had no business continuing the possession of the Vehicle regardless what you paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">