• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co op Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gerriberri

What is the name of your state? New York

I purchased a coop 2 yrs ago. I recently noticed a "bubble" on my ceiling. I was told by both my super and the building management that this is a "pop-out"; that when the building was constucted, not enough lime was mixed with the plaster in the ceiling and sometimes the paint "pops" out.
They are saying that the building is not responsible for the repair. I think that if the building was not built correctly then why should I be financially responsible?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks! gerri

HomeGuru

gerriberri said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I purchased a coop 2 yrs ago. I recently noticed a "bubble" on my ceiling. I was told by both my super and the building management that this is a "pop-out"; that when the building was constucted, not enough lime was mixed with the plaster in the ceiling and sometimes the paint "pops" out.
They are saying that the building is not responsible for the repair. I think that if the building was not built correctly then why should I be financially responsible?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks! gerri

**A: it does not matter what you think. You need to follow the cooperative guidelines.

FarmerJ

gerri make the repair and see if it re occurs again . The reason I saw to watch it is to help make sure it isnt a water leak If it were a waterleak the drywall or plaster will also soften . If you never have any more trouble then it isnt a leak and just as management says . also if you keep your unit jungle humid the humidity over time can cause damage to the walls .

G

gerriberri

Co op Responsibilties

To FarmerJ

Thanks for the response...its not a humid jungle in here by any means... I leave my air on 24/7... I really needed to know legally if I have anything to stand on here...But if all else fails then I will be doing what you suggested...Thanks again.
Gerri

G

gerriberri

To: HomeGuru

How do I know what the coop guidelines are... Where should I look to see where something like this is even posted...( since I would tend to think its not!)

Common now..you must be a lawyer on the co op side...am I correct??
gerri

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">