• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co- Signer for Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poiduke

What is the name of your state? In.

Hi All,
My daughter who is a college student in Indy has asked that I co-sign an application for a 12 month lease as guarntor. The application states for residency. I will not be residing there. I live in IL. I did agree that I would sign off on the guarantor addedum. Do I need to fill out the complete app. or just the guarantor.
Thanks

poiduke

landord insists

I guess I need to clarify my question. Why would I complete residency app. if I am not the resident?

CA LL

You will need to fill out a full application form is the LL requires it as they will likely "screen" you (I do) just as they screen the potential resident. Then again I require guarantors to live and own local real estate so I wouldn't be considering you/your daughter..unless she fully qualified on her own.

The LL has the right to determine that you have MORE THAN ENOUGH income/credit, etc. to guarantee another "household" in addition to your own AND that you are "collectible" in the event of any issues.

For all guarantors I verify income, home ownership, background, credit, etc.

poiduke

Oh I See

Thanks C, I have another question then. Why not just have me fill out a credit app and a doc to be the guarantor? I am just uncomfortable with the resident part. The app request more than just my credit info.
Thanks again
P

CA LL

Because that is their standard application and they will need your addresses (to verify home ownership obviously), income and employment info, social security number, DOB, etc...everything that is standard on a rental application..pretty much they need and want it all and have every right to ask for it.

What exactly are they asking you about that you feel uncomfortable with? They have a right to check your public records too..for any judgments against you, etc. AND criminal too if so desired since they are trying to convince themselves that you are QUALIFIED to guarantee all aspects of the tenancy. And that they can find you and collect from you if need be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">