• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co signer on loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larrandshell

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Oregon

please help!! I am the co-signer on an auto loan with my sister in law. She is behind on the payments. I have a key to this car do I have the legal right to take the car if i am on the loan papers and is that car also legally mine because i am on the loan papers? If i am able to take this car into my possession can i be arrested for auto theft? The loan is in the state of Colorado. please help Thank you!!

T

totallybroke

I think the real question is who is the car titled to?

I believe legally you have to be on the title to take possession of the vehicle.

Sr. members maybe you can help on this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

larrandshell said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Oregon

please help!! I am the co-signer on an auto loan with my sister in law. She is behind on the payments. I have a key to this car do I have the legal right to take the car if i am on the loan papers and is that car also legally mine because i am on the loan papers? If i am able to take this car into my possession can i be arrested for auto theft? The loan is in the state of Colorado. please help Thank you!!

My response:

Totallybroke is correct. Unless your name appears on the title as a "lienholder" or "co-owner", you have no "ownership interest" in the vehicle. Being named on the loan papers, alone, does not confer ownership rights of the vehicle to you. It only means that you have a potential debt in the event of default on the contract.

You failed to have a written "side agreement" with your sister-in-law, or to maintain some sort of collateral, or to be placed as a lienholder on the title in exchange for your signature on the loan documents. Therefore, other than expensive litigation in the event of her default, you have no "remedies."

So, if you "touch" that vehicle, you may be in for the "time" of your life.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">