• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co signer problems.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blfrizz

I bought a car with my ex a few years ago. At the time I was under the assumption that I was the co signer. I lived in Florida at that time. When we broke up I moved to ny. He wanted to keep the car in fear that I wouldn't be able to make the car payments and both of our credit was on the line. I thought I was a co signer and had no rights to the vehicle and therefore agreed. I found out in August that I was the main signer and he was the co signer. But I was in ny and he was in Florida and was making the car payments so I let it be. Well I just found out today that he is no longer making payments. Not since November. I can't get a hold of the bank today as they are closed and so I have no idea what is going on with the car. I cannot get a hold of him to ask him what's going on. He had told me before that the bank held the title until the car gets paid off at which time they'll mail it to us. I don't know if that's true. I don't know whose name is on the title. I can more than afford the car payment and since he is no longer making payments, I would like to take possession of the vehicle at this time because my credit score is being drug through the mud. I'm wondering if I have the legal right to take this car from him.

justalayman

In Florida, the lender holds the title until the loan is paid off.

Whomever is listed on the title as an owner would have a right of possession. If that is only you, then you control who has the car. If you are both listed on the title, you would have equal rights to possess the car. If that is the case, unless he relinquishes the vehicle, about all you could do is sneak in and take it. He can do the same back as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">