• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coach showering in front of High School students during athletics?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommacat4

I live in Texas. I can't imagine this can be legal in any U.S. State, but here goes: Is it "ok" for the high school athletics coach to shower in front of the students and expose himself to them? This has happened in my son's class, and it has been reported to the Principle. But nothing has been done about it. The coach is still present in the school and class. Can this be legal? I certainly hope not, but I do not want to make a big stink if this is something that guys just do. I am a concerned mother looking out for not only my child, but any child who could potentially be a victim of this behavior. I am not sure where to turn or who to ask. I appreciate any guidance you may be able to give me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Texas. I can't imagine this can be legal in any U.S. State, but here goes: Is it "ok" for the high school athletics coach to shower in front of the students and expose himself to them? This has happened in my son's class, and it has been reported to the Principle. But nothing has been done about it. The coach is still present in the school and class. Can this be legal? I certainly hope not, but I do not want to make a big stink if this is something that guys just do. I am a concerned mother looking out for not only my child, but any child who could potentially be a victim of this behavior. I am not sure where to turn or who to ask. I appreciate any guidance you may be able to give me.
Is the coach the same gender as the athletes? If so, then showering in a locker room would not be illegal. If it were done with a sexual connotation that would be illegal. What is your concern?

mommacat4

Thank you for your quick response

Yes He is same gender. My concern was for the young boys because my son and others were extremely uncomfortable with what was happening. Perhaps that may be because they had never had a coach that showered with them before. But my son has assured me that the coach has not acted in any way sexual. Thank you so much for your quick response, I appreciate your time.

Ladyback1

Is the coach the same gender as the athletes? If so, then showering in a locker room would not be illegal. If it were done with a sexual connotation that would be illegal. What is your concern?
Might not be illegal, but seems a bit (ok A LOT) creepy to me...:(

and FYI, it may be done with a sexual connotation as some people are true exhibitionists. Furthermore, how do we or those kids or the parent know that the coach isn't "excited" by the young men??

I think, I would be at the next school board meeting.;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

and FYI, it may be done with a sexual connotation as some people are true exhibitionists. Furthermore, how do we or those kids or the parent know that the coach isn't "excited" by the young men??

Is there the same concern with 18 year old players showering with the younger players? Maybe all those players are exhibitionists. How is the locker room set up? Is it one big shower or individual showers? Do the individual showers have curtains? If there are curtains and they are not being used, then I could see your point but otherwise, it may be a whole lot of Who Shot John.

I'm not surprised at your post! Obviously, you've never been to the YMCA or a local Swimming Pool in which it IS a frequent occurence where people of all ages (same gender) share the locker room showers!!

Do you have the same issues with a woman coach who showers with her students as well?

xylene

She said her son is creeped out by it.

What happened to the notion that children are supposed to be believed about sexual abuse?

#sanduskymoment

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

What happened to the notion that children are supposed to be believed about sexual abuse?

#sanduskymoment
Exactly. My brother was creeped out by the local Boys and Girls Club locker room as a kid. Would not go in there to change. When a Catholic priest was accused of *ahem* misbehaving in the pool, I knew in a flash who it was. Even as a naive teenage girl that priest's behavior at that swimming pool raised my creep antenna. I distinctly remember him for his odd behavior during a family swim I was student lifeguarding as part of a course, well over half a decade before the incident that made it into the courtroom.

My mother feels relieved that she humored my brother's eccentricities.

#johngeoghan#trustyourgut

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

#sanduskymoment
Sexual abuse is not showering in a locker room. Maybe the son should not shower after practice.

mommacat4

Yes - there are several open showers in a row with no curtains, yet I am told the coach chooses the first shower by the entrance door each time upon their arrival and he is showering as they enter for class then proceeds into the locker area - still no towel, and that is where he dries and dresses himself - while the students are changing into their athletics shorts. BUT...like some have said this is the norm in most athletic, gym, and swimming areas also. So this I am happy to hear. Perhaps my son seems so weird-ed out about it only because he too has never encountered that situation before. I have talked to him and let him know to just be cautious as you never know who-is-who in the world today. Other than that..be a boy, be an athlete, and continue on living life. He is pretty savvy and knows what to watch out for in the event that there may be any further "instances" which he may feel uneasy about.

Ladyback1

I'm not surprised at your post! Obviously, you've never been to the YMCA or a local Swimming Pool in which it IS a frequent occurence where people of all ages (same gender) share the locker room showers!!

Do you have the same issues with a woman coach who showers with her students as well?
you darn skippy I'd have the same concerns w/ a female coach showering in front of her female students.

Obviously, the local Y or swimming pool is NOT the same. (Our local pool has a communal shower...HOWEVER, in the numerous times I have been at our local pool, I have never seen an adult female showering. The communal shower is to rinse off before getting in pool). There is limited, if any, oversight of who uses the showers. Plus, those people are not in a position of power over the teenagers that may be in the shower area.

Even if there is no harmful intent by the adult coach, I'd still be concerned because the behavior/action is troubling to at least one of the children!
In some respects, seeing your coach naked is kind of like seeing your parent(s) naked.
And really? Why does the coach feel it is necessary to shower at a time when there are students present?
Whether it is legal or not, there is the appearance of impropriety. As a parent, I would ask the school admins. to please ask the coach to be a little more modest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a question: How can a person who is naked with soap on their face properly monitor the kids?

Yes, coach should wait to shower.

ajkroy

I don't understand this at all. At all. As someone who works with young people, what is this coach thinking? I teach Medical Assisting, which often requires the touching of students. I am nervous EVERY time, even though I ask permission first and do it in front of a group of students...because there are things you just don't do these days. We have to demonstrate EKG lead placement, for example. I either do it on a mannequin or I wear a bodysuit that day, because there is no way I am exposing myself to my students (even though the norm is to have exposed breasts during the actual procedure).

This coach is going to be accused of something, whether he is doing it or not. And he is exercising extremely poor judgment. He wouldn't be working in my school, I can tell you that.

mommacat4

You are all making some great points and I appreciate seeing the different sides and opinions. I too think it is time to make a little more than a phone call to the Principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">