• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA 11 month extension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorkingWife

What is the name of your state? NJ

My husband is nearing the end of his 18 month COBRA period. He filed an application for Social Security Disability Insurance several months ago, but a determination has not yet been made. As we understand it, the 11 month COBRA extension can only be activated if the SSA has issued a positive determination letter. Are we out of luck if his SS case is still pending at the end of COBRA's 18 month period? I work, but my employer doesn't provide health insurance.What is the name of your state?

Betty

If at the time of the original COBRA qualifying event the beneficiary is disabled or becomes disabled during the first 60 days of COBRA, COBRA coverage *may* be extended for up to 29 months. However, in order to qualify for the extension, the beneficiary must first be determined by the Soc. Sec. Admin. to be disabled under their disabled critera.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">