• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mot2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana
I formerly worked for a small company (about 20-25 employees) and quit at the end of December, 2003. Since that time, I have been paying for COBRA coverage. I made my June payment about a week late - the check cleared 06/09/04. I have since gotten a notice from the insurance company that I have been cancelled. Isn't my former employer required by the COBRA Act to give me a 30 day grace period. What is my recourse if she refuses to re-instate me? :mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. However, it IS legal for the company to cancel you if you do not pay on time, and then reinstate you if the payment comes in within the 30 day grace period; they are not required to hold your account open for 30 days before they term it. After all, they don't know whether you intend to pay or not.

IF they fail to reinstate you, you can file a complaint with the Federal DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">