• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA Coverage Cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TyphoidLmJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut.

Hello,

My Issue is as follows.
I lost my job in the spring of this year, and I elected to extend benefits with the COBRA program.
Long story short, I was not able to promptly pay the premium after a few months of paying, and they have retroactively cancelled the policy backdated to June 30.

I know there is little to no recourse to fight for reinstatement after a failed payment, my question is who am I going to owe the money for the bills to?

Since the Insurance company already reimbursed the pharmacy at time of purchase, and probably several of the doctors as well, are they going to come after me for the money directly? Or are they going to charge the providers for the service and I will owe the providers the money?
Hopefully the latter, as IMO providers are more willing to work with your through financial problems than insurance companies.

Thank you for any light you could shed on this.

FlyingRon

There's no statutory grace or reinstatement procedure for failing to pay your premiums under COBRA. Usually, they will love you screwing up so they can get you out of their hair. Yes, the coverage ends on the due date of the payment (even if there was some grace in the due date). Eventually the providers will get this kicked back and come after you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, there is a statutory grace period for payment, but it's only 30 days. If they cancelled you back to June, that would indicate that if you haven't made June's payment by July 30, they may legally cancel you. There is no grace period for reinstatement - once they cancel you, it's entirely their opt whether to reinstate you or not.

There's no way for us to know whether the insurers will charge you directly, or charge back the providers and have the providers charge you. It could be done either way and it depends on the contract between the insurer and the provider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">