• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA Insurance and BK Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David1051

I was let go from a company and in my severance agreement they are picking up my medical/dental insurance for 6 months. After that point I could switch to a COBRA and pay myself.

Now I am being told that the company may stop making payments to the insurance company and may go BK. Until I have a new job, I must keep medical insurance. My understanding is if I move to a Cobra it will do no good because it will colapse if the main policy does. What can I do to make sure I never have a break in my insurance?

Thanks!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, it is true that if the company ceases to offer insurance to active employees, or goes out of business and doesn't have any active employees, the COBRA ceases to exist also. In some states you have a right to convert your existing group policy to an individual insurance policy. Otherwise, about your only option would be to buy an individual policy outright.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">