• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA INSURANCE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gregg

We were denied COBRA insurance by a self funded group after I quit. I was eligible for insurance through September 2000. They sent a letter stating my insurance benefits were terminated and banked work hours were zero. In a separate letter (sent to all members) there were instructions to make changes to the group benefit program handbook. These changes were to take effect starting October 1, 2000 (received letter on September 29, 2000). One change was made to the COBRA eligibility requirements, which I don't think is allowed, stating that you are not eligible for COBRA insurance if you go to work for an employer who does not have a collective bargaining agreement.

Even though I did not have insurance coverage on October 1st, they say my coverage ended on the 1st rather than the 30th. Is this correct?

Also, can they write their own rules for COBRA eligibility?

If they are in the wrong, I understand that I am given the right to sue them for up to $110 per day; how do I go about doing this and where do I find the laws about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">